Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Carnegie Hall Report




Ok...Now that Passover (at least the big part) is over, I can write a bit about what's been going on. The time I spent at the Carnegie workshop was amazing. The participants were some of the best musicians I've gotten to work with in quite a while. People who barely even knew what klezmer was were playing with confidence by the end of the week. The instructors were fantastic. I've put links to all of their websites on my website (www.berkowitzmusic.com). If you're even remotely interested in klezmer and aren't aware of the work going on by them you owe it to yourself to find out more. Take a look at some of the pictures from the post-concert reception.


Pesach was great this year. Ilana and I hosted it together for the first time. We went from four people the first night to eighteen the second which was a pretty new experience for me. I'd never really had a seder with so many people before!  In other news I've been reading a few interesting books and listening to some great recordings. If you're interested in graphic novels, check out Joann Sfar. I've read three of his books so far - The Rabbi's Cat 1 and 2 and Klezmer - Book One: Tales of the Wild East. The Rabbi's cat is set in 1930's Morocco and looks at the lives of a Rabbi, his daughter, his cousin Malka of the Lions, and some other great characters. Klezmer is set in 19th Century Russia and is done in the most amazing watercolors. It's going to be part of a series and hopefully more books will be out soon. I've never seen any contemporary stories about klezmorim so it should be interesting to see how it develops.

No comments: