Thursday, July 24, 2008

Wednesday - Back to Normal = Shopping!




So glad to be relatively human again, Wednesday began with a walk to Yad Lekashish.  But I always get lost trying to find it, so first we went to Yirmiyahu’s (when I realized that’s where we were) and bought a beautiful tablecloth (we hope it fits) and netilat yadayim towels.  Then to Yad Lekashish, where we received a very warm welcome.  Anat, who works in the embroidery room where I used to volunteer, immediately recognized me and wanted me to sing like I used to do for the ladies.  Nope.  She loved our kippot from Rhea and took them around to show people!  We toured around a bit but the people weren’t as into talking with us as they used to be.  So then we shopped.  And we shopped.  A nice way to support an important mitzvah.  We left and covered up, then walked to Meah Shearim (despite signs that clearly stated visitors were not welcome) and we stopped at the Olive Wood Factory (but bought nothing!).  Then we walked all the way home for a quick rest.  Oh, on the way, we stopped at the Conservative Center so I could find David K.  That was fun.  My claim to fame when he introduced me to others was that my sister is engaged to Aviva’s brother – go, go Yaf!  Nice yiches.  Adam and David had a nice talk about music and we got some good ideas for our next trip to Israel together – hopefully an elongated study time for both of us.  After a brief stop at the hotel to change clothes (I could no longer be so covered up), we met Yitz and a very pregnant Shosh for lunch at Dolce back in the city.  Delicious salad – and I think I stomached it.  But if feels very snobby to refuse tap water!  For dinner on Wednesday we were picked up by Adam’s relatives, Shaul and Sandy Erez, who brought us to their home in Ramot.  We had a very nice time together, enjoying their BBQ and hearing family stories.  Adam and I went out much later for a late-night hot chocolate at Cuppa Joe, and we were dismayed to note that Israelis are less likely to ask me about my kippah, but more likely to comment on it or laugh with others.  I wonder what that says about society, about people’s self-esteem or about communication skills.  Ten years ago I was challenged daily and entered into wonderful conversations.  So what’s happened?  Anyway, I don’t like when people laugh at the kippah – so I stare them down, of course!

No comments: